Please enable JS

You've seen the colorful stickers on the side of somebody else’s truck and those magic letters: I F T A.

And you wonder to yourself? What are those? Do I need them? Read on to find out.

What is IFTA?

  • The International Fuel Tax Agreement is a tax collection agreement by and among the 48 contiguous [United] States and the 10 Canadian Provinces bordering the US.
  • IFTA allows for the uniform administration of motor fuels use taxation laws with respect to qualified motor vehicles operated in more than one member jurisdiction.
  • IFTA regulates motor fuel use taxes that are imposed by each jurisdiction on the consumption of motor fuel in qualified motor vehicles.

Who Needs IFTA?

  • IFTA is required for: a motor vehicle used, designed or maintained for the transportation of persons or property and has:
  • Gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight over 26,000 lbs. or 11,797 kgs.
  • Three-axles regardless of weight.
  • Used in combination when the weight of the combination exceeds 26,000 lbs. or 11,797 kgs.

Benefits of Membership in IFTA:

  • One license and one set of decals for each qualified motor vehicle to operate through all member jurisdictions.
  • One tax return filed each quarter with the base jurisdiction.
  • One tax payment or refund.
  • One audit by the base jurisdiction.
  • Reduced administrative costs.

What is a Base State/Jurisdiction?

  • Where qualified motor vehicles are registered (IRP).
  • Where operational control and operational records are maintained or can be made available.
  • Where some travel is accrued.

So, do you need IFTA?

If so, please visit to apply for an IFTA license or file a quarterly return.

    Convenience Fees at Federal Applications Processor Hoffenmer:

    • Initial License Application: $250
    • License Renewal Application: $250
    • Quarterly Filing: $50
    • Online Credential Setup: $30

    We look forward to assisting you with your IFTA (and other compliance) needs. Visit: